Re: Transparent views

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Transparent views
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 12:20:37 +0100

On 5 Jul 2013, at 12:16, "Lundberg, Johannes" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I've been playing around with getting transparent windows / views to work on
> FreeBSD.
>
> On WindowMaker + xcompmgr / compton I can't get the window to be transparent.
> There doesn't seem to be any visual that has direct.alphaMask > 0. However,
> if I use the tool transset-df I can set the whole window to be transparent.
> (transset-df traverses the window tree and changes the properties of the root
> window)
>
> However, if I use xfce4 + xcompmgr / compton transparency works fine. Both
> for pure X11 apps and NSApp with NSView and NSOpenGLView.
>
> I haven't looked into it yet so I don't know at this what the difference is
> between windowmaker and xfce4...

I believe the problem with WindowMaker and transparency is that WindowMaker is
a reparenting window manager and so your GNUstep windows are regarded as
subwindows of another non-root window  by the compositing manager.  The
transparency metadata probably needs to be propagated up the window chain for
it to work.

Unfortunately, with X11 the interaction between the window manager and the
compositing manager is quite complex, which is why many people decide to
combine them into a single program.

David