Re: NSThread test failing

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSThread test failing
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 09:39:50 +0100

On 12 Aug 2013, at 03:44, Doug Warren <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I wrote a simple test for NSThread to be run through a googletest framework,
> this passes on OSX but just hangs on GNUStep:

As we already have a perfectly good (better unless you actually *like* C++)
test framework incorporated into GNUstep, I wouldn't bother with googletest.

>     [backThread performSelectorInBackground:@selector(run:)
> withObject:backThread];

The  -performSelectorInBackground:withObject: method you are trying to test
does not exist ... so you ought to be getting an exception complaining about an
unknown message sent to the backThread object.
I don't know why that would cause a hang, but David's explanation sounds right
if we assume something causes execution to continue past the exception.

Looking at the Apple documentation, this method seems to have been added as a
convenience method wrapping +detachNewThreadSelector:toTarget:withObject: so I
guess I'll add it to base for compatibility.