Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 16:06:11 +0000

I managed to get -base cross-compiled, at least.  I had to hack the
GNUmakefile, because even when I tell it that it's cross compiling for a modern
runtime, it correctly defines the OBJC2RUNTIME thing in the features header,
but not in the GNUmakefile.

I couldn't manage to persuade our autoconf stuff to pass the required
[OJB]C[XX]FLAGS when trying to build things, so I had to make little wrapper
scripts that invoked clang[++] with the required arguments (-B, --sysroot,
-target, and so on).

Note that poor cross-build support makes supporting embedded platforms
difficult, and embedded these days can easily mean 1GHz CPU and 256MB of RAM.
Unfortunately, this appears to be part of the legacy of autotools / GNUstep
Make.

David