Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 19:25:25 +0000

For Android I have been passing ./configure --host=arm-linux-androideabi. It's mentioned by configure itself. --target does look like the correct way to do it.

The whole thing is slightly confusing and needs to be read a couple of times to be understood. So I did just that:
  http://stackoverflow.com/a/15901574/39974
  http://stackoverflow.com/a/5139451/39974

On Wed Jan 01 2014 at 3:25:19 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

On 29 Dec 2013, at 12:56, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to cross-compile GNUstep, and since I'm sure I'm not the first person to try this, I wondered if anyone had written up how to do it?  I am trying to build from FreeBSD/amd64 for FreeBSD/MIPS64.  I have a cross-compiler and sysroot setup.  Building the runtime was trivial - just point cmake at the cross-compile toolchain file - what do I need to do for Make / base so that:
>
> - It knows that I don't actually want -make on the target platform.
> - I get an installed version somewhere on my local machine that I can copy to a different location on the remote
> - All of the correct cross-compile flags are passed to the compiler
>
> I think Ivan has been through all of this recently for Android?

Going back to the start of thread (since it seems to have gone completely off topic), I took a quick look at the documentation (radical concept eh).
The gnustep-make README document says (in the first introductory paragraph) that it supports cross compilation.
The gnustep-make INSTALL document has a section on it and gives an example:

     ./configure --target=i386-mingw32
     make install

Now, I've never done any cross compilation, and probably most other people don't do it eiother, so I don't know if cross compilation support has bit-rotted, support for cross-compiling for a particular target is certainly there, ad this (the --target= option) appears to be the standard mechanism (a web search for cross compiling and autoconf finds it immediately).

I guess the answer (howto do it) is that you configure for the target OS/CPU you want, then just build as normal.  The INSTALL documentation also explains about using a non-flattened layout if you want to have multple architectures in the same filesystrem hierarchy etc.

Of course, if there are any bit-rotted makefiles, we should correct them and make a bugfix release of the affected package.