Re: [bug #41125] -make documentation is un-installable

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [bug #41125] -make documentation is un-installable
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 15:57:37 +0100

On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 14:54 CET, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 8 Jan 2014, at 12:38, Markus Hitter <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Am 08.01.2014 13:11, schrieb Niels Grewe:
> >> Markus expects it to use the configuration you just set using make’s
> >> configure script, while it in fact will use the configuration of the
> >> last installed version of gnustep-make.
>
> I eventually got that.
>
> > Thank you. That's entirely the point. Because in some environments there
> > is no "last installed version of gnustep-make".
>
> I'd still like to know why you can't set one up?

I think this is mostly a problem packagers are facing.
For example, I create a package for gnustep-make, then install it.
But then, I'm done with it. at least on OpenBSD, there is no
easy way, to rely on an installed version of the same package,
to build additional components out of it.

With a lot of dirty tricks, I likely could get around it, maybe use
the installed version from the "fake" stage in the packaging process
to generate the documentation. But that would likely end up in
something very ugly.

Since as I understand Markus has the similar/same problem
for his Debian or Ubuntu packages, I can guess others for other SO/distros
face similar problems. I don't know, Fred, aren't you experimenting
with GNUstep packages on the SUSE build server, how is it working
there for you?

For that matter, if the gnustep-make package would support
generating and installing the documentation in one go, i.e.
./configure
make
make install       (which would go for me on OpenBSD into a fake environment)
make install-docs  (that would use the values from configure, and also install
in that fake environment)

or an "install-all" (installing the makefiles and the docs with one command)

hope above was not too confusing ;)

cheers,
Sebastian