Re: What is wrong with this project?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: What is wrong with this project?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 15:38:09 -0400

Fred, the

On Friday, March 27, 2015, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
As most of you GNUsteppers know, I have been active in this project for
quite some time now. Well, exactly 15 years now. Not much was functional
at that time. What ever part of GNUstep you tried to us broke down on
touching and needed fixing. But it was also a time of great progress. In
a few months we got support for different fonts, better RTF and a lot
more improvements into the primitive text handling GNUstep had at that
time. I moved on to NSColor and NSBezierPath, which I both rewrote
completely. Next I added a whole backend for MS Windows, just for fun.
Later Alexander Malmberg vanished from the project, Greg became project
leader and I ended up as maintainer of back and gui. And the years went
by...

Why am I writing about all this? I think it is time now for me to step
down as the maintainer of the GNUstep back and gui packages. There are
many reason for this move and I have been thinking about it for some
time already. What finally triggered that decision was the experience of
the last few days. I have been ill a bit, which stopped me from going
out and left more time for GNUstep. I worked on a few issues and
resolved some tiny problems. But what was the reaction on the mailing
lists? Nothing or negative. On the days before we had for example about
a mail per day on the window resize flickering issue. When I (partly)
resolved it and ask for testers on the mailing list, communication on
that topic stopped. And when it resumed again it was full of complaints
about remaining issues that are on special hardware, deprecated backends
or even completely unrelated.
Or lets take another recent example. German Arias is working on
resolving some cursor issues on MS Windows and it is great that he is
doing so, as that platform gets little love nowadays. He send a patch to
the mailing list and I commented on it, but didn't get a reply on that.
Later I saw his commit, with part of my comments addressed, but others
ignored. Why is that? I don't know and I am tiered of asking. Next he
send a video displaying tool tips issues that a clearly caused by not
sending mouse leave events to the window. Should I now write the same
mail a second time?

For me the feeling of progress in GNUstep is gone. And with it the fun
of working late nights on GNUstep. And without fun GNUstep is just
unpayed and unhonored work.

I am sure Greg will come up with a perfect replacement. Somebody who is
going to review your patches and fix your bugs a lot better than I have
been doing lately and somebody that has fun doing so. And me? I will
stick around quietly, maybe work on bits I wanted to fix for a long time
now and perhaps the fun will come back.

No one I will find could possibly replace you, but only succeed you.  You are an instrumental person in this community and I can only hope that you will continue to be so.  Your striving for perfection and your relentless push to do things in the best possible manner have made this project better in so many ways.

I know that you will continue to be around and, for that, I'm grateful.  I would sincerely hate to lose you completely.  I only hope that your eventual successor and the rest of the team in the interim until said successor is found can continue to uphold the strict standards you have always maintained for yourself and for the rest of us.

Rest assured that as gui/back maintainer you will be sorely missed.

Good luck to all of you,
Fred

Your friend,
Gregory Casamento