Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 07:09:32 -0700

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 1:22 AM, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:

> - Automatic tarball generation.  When I’m packaging a project for FreeBSD, it
> makes me very happy to learn that it’s hosted on GitHub, because if I know
> the release branch name or hash I can automatically generate a URL that is a
> tarball of the sources and tell the port to grab that for building.  When I’m
> doing a release of something GitHub-hosted, then it’s trivial: create a tag
> and you’re done.  We’ve recently moved the public CHERI repo to GitHub
> precisely because it’s the easiest way of generating tarballs from a repo.

I think one issue with this is that the tags can change,
see this stack overflow question on how to do this is not exactly unpopular

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8044583/how-can-i-move-a-tag-on-a-git-branch-to-a-different-commit

I think it's always better to rely on the hash rather than an upstream tag
which gives you some flexibility for how to handle it when you do
inevitably run into a case where someone does switch tags on you.