Re: compiling libobjc-2.0 and gnustep on Ubuntu 14.04

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: compiling libobjc-2.0 and gnustep on Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 11:23:16 +0100

On 30 May 2015, at 16:51, allynm <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> For several days now I have been struggling to compile and install
> libobjc2-1.7 and the most recent GNUstep core libraries on my Ubuntu 14.04
> ("Trusty") machine. This is because there are no Ubuntu packages of libobjc2
> for Trusty, although they exist for 12.04 ("Precise") as far as I can tell.
>
> From the research I have done I have found several bash scripts that are
> supposed to accomplish this.  I have tried to follow them, but without
> success.  The problem comes down to cmake, which is the preferred method of
> compiling and linking libobjc2 (no doubt most of you know this).
>
> When I run cmake I get a number of errors involving inability to find load
> files, among them /usr/share/llvm-3.5/cmake/LLVMExports.cmake.
>
> ...and several others including AddLLVM.
>
> I was hoping someone on the list could suggest a solution.  I really want to
> be able to use some of the features in 2.0 that are otherwise unavailable.

I do sympathise ... cmake causes me lots of trouble too.

What I generally end up doing is using a tar image i have of the library source
on which cmake already ran once ... as long as things haven't changed too much
I can then use this to build the library on new systems (usually with some
manual editing of one file).
Basically that means I avoid running cmake and hope that the config stored in
the tar image will work on the system I'm building for.

I can mail you a copy of that tar image if you like ... you could then try:
1. untar it
2. change directory into the Build subdirectory
3. edit the file CMakeCache.txt to change paths to executables like clang, so
they match your system
4. type 'make'