Re: Questions about OSX compatibility

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Questions about OSX compatibility
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:37:08 +0100

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
As far as I know there are no applications out there using opal. Up to now this library is work in progress. A year ago I fixed some substantial issues in it, which nobody had complaint about.

This is a good point.

Still I don't see a reason for splitting this up. What we need is some header files with the expected includes for the existing headers. For linking we will need to provide our own build scripts anyway.
We don't need to provide stuff in the exact same form as Apple does.

It becomes important if someone uses https://github.com/gnustep/tools-buildtool, or similar. (I wanted to allow building Xcode projects in Zcode.)

And given what you said above, it's maybe better to do it now rather than after someone starts to depend on the ABI and we may get alerted by Debian's automation that we are not versioning the lib correctly, or so.

Having the files in a subdirectory of opal called OpalImage seems like a good idea though.

I'd vote for OpalImage being installed as ImageIO (as we do with OpalGraphics vs Core Graphics).