Re: error compiling GUI - string constants

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: error compiling GUI - string constants
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 17:32:05 +0000

Why do we want it?

On Wed 26 Jul 2017 at 16:46, Daniel Ferreira (theiostream) <address@hidden> wrote:
The macro, sadly, would not export the new declaration as a symbol of its own, which I believe we want.

On Jul 26, 2017 12:14, "Ivan Vučica" <address@hidden> wrote:
Fwiw original version defined two symbols pointing to constant strings with the same value. Fred and I asked for changes. I asked Daniel to investigate using NSString const*, and when that worked we went ahead with submitting the change.

Sorry about this. We did not consider compiler differences, but that's why we have people trying it out \o/

I like Josh's workaround.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017, 13:15 Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Daniel Ferreira (theiostream) wrote:
> Also, the reason it just does not assign the same const string to the
> different constants is because the two consts should be the same
> pointer, and doing it explicitly seemed like a good way to make that
> intent clear and guarantee that would happen.

I will commit the "fix" to unbreak build instead of "reverting" so your
additions get preserved, however I do like and understand the idea of
using and ensuring the samge string with the same poinger gets used.

I thus ask compiler experts whats wrong of or if this is a quirk with
NSStrings in GCC ? Or somethig known that clang is smarter to accept
resolving the assignments to the same pointer?

Riccardo