Re: Confusion in instructions on sending fixes in "reporting bugs" webpa

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Confusion in instructions on sending fixes in "reporting bugs" webpage
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 00:16:38 +0000

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 9:43 PM Gregory Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:
So what policy are we settling on for this?

I'd argue "include ChangeLog entry in the commit when creating a Git commit" has benefits for quick mergeability and clear visibility of authorship.

And, because there seems to be a small preference for it (at least due to possible conflicts), "don't include the ChangeLog in your patch when sending the patch to a mailing list" seems to be a good second part of the policy.

So, to expand on Matt's wording:

- When submitting via a mailing list include your ChangeLog entry in
the contents of your email rather than in the diff.
- When contributing in other ways (such as through a Git commit), include
the ChangeLog entry in the primary diff itself.

Can someone put something to that effect on the website?

  In the past I have had a script to generate this for me.

It's unclear to me what do you mean, "generate this"?

The script would generate the changelog entry? The commit / email message? From what was it being generated?