Re: Embedded blocks...

From: 陈北宗
Subject: Re: Embedded blocks...
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 13:37:43 +0800

> Not this in particular, but I'm aware there is free software for Mac.
> Unfortunately, most of it is not readily available or easily portable
> because it a) depends on other nonfree libraries; b) relies on
> functionality not yet implemented on GNUstep (which would be the case
> even if GNUstep stopped supporting GCC).

If GNUstep stayed with GCC, those missing functionalities can not be
implemented at all; while if GNUstep dropped GCC, we can start working on those
features and libraries.. From a practical standpoint, I would consider GCC’s
Objective-C support broken beyond repair by this point really, since those new
libraries and functionalities depends on entire new language features like
Objective-C ARC, Blocks and extended Objective-C language. And there is the
whole new can of worms of Swift integration, which requires the use of
LLVM/clang since Swift itself is built on top of it, and there is no Swift in
GCC at all.

As of LLVM/clang doing a better job at supporting the language, it is because
Apple is on of the main contributors and actively feeds their language changes
back to the mainline.