Re: Embedded blocks...

From: 陈北宗
Subject: Re: Embedded blocks...
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 14:02:22 +0800

> It is extremely naive to expect that macOS/iOS developers will start
> coming in numbers, anxious to implement classes and missing
> functionality, just because of that.  GNUstep predates the thing
> called "Objective-C 2.0" and I don't remember an avalanche of patches
> flowing in before 2005.

There is no point putting up a barrier too. One of the best selling point of
GNUstep was “your whole existing codebase for a modern Mac OS X app is simply
one recompile away from being useable on a lot of different computers” since it
was almost 100% code compatible with Mac OS X back in the time. Now GNUstep has
fell out of sync with macOS, this selling point is failing. This can result in
GNUstep being reduced to a mere academic curiosity.

As of “Objective-C 2.0”, that was mostly compile-time changes made when Apple
switched from GCC to LLVM/clang. Should there be an influx of patches for that,
most of them would head towards GCC not GNUstep.