Re: GORM usability enhancements

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: GORM usability enhancements
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 02:16:02 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 12:33 AM RIccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On 2019-12-20 11:56:01 +0100 Sergii Stoian <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. Enhancements in model files (conrtols positionning, autosizing, fonts,
> menu items rearrangements).

I think *most* of it is fine...Gorm matches quite closely NeXT IB and old Mac IB which were quite fine!
But indeed, some autosizing and some elements are not so optimal.

I think *almost all* inspectors need positioning and sizing fixes. I'm about to finish this task. You can checkout `UsabilityEnhancements` branch and see the difference for yourself.

> 2. Sort out focus change between controls and windows (I've noticed some
> inconviences).

I did very few... but I do notice instead that when doing a connection to a target with many object icons, the icon list doesn't scroll properly and the target is drawn not below the cursor sometimes (but the connection will the correctly happen to the drawn target.. so it is bad, but usable)

The main annoyance for me is when you have selected NSTextField inside NSBox, then you're switching to Inspector for making changes, then clicking on NSTextField and... you've end up with NSBox selected.

> 3. Document window changes: fix selection of objects, make object titles
> editable (get rid of "Set Name" panel), finish and make usable Class Editor
> outline editor (get rid of Class Editor Inspector).

Class Editor Inspector is fine!

For me enhancements would be useful in the object element drawing/positioning.
The automatic guidelines and snapping... is worse than on old Mac IBs... but I don't know exactly why, perhaps it is a matter of layers and what is preferrably selected as a snap. Mac is quite aggressive and abundant, I think.

A really big enhancement would be however undo. In everything it will be perhaps difficult (e.g. adding object, editing actions). But being able do undo "editing" of the graphical elements: size, positioning, etc... would be very useful since it is often trial-and-error.

Agree.

Just my 0.02 €

Riccardo

Sergii