Re: Incremental linking

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Incremental linking
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 14:19:41 +0200

On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 18:18 +0200, Wolfgang Lux wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-04-02 at 11:06 +0100, David Chisnall wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > For various reasons, I have been reading the binutils ld
> > documentation
> > and there is a note that -Ur is needed instead of -r for
> > incremental
> > linking of C++ programs that contain constructors.  I suspect that
> > this
> > is just badly written documentation - can someone try patching
> > -make
> > use -Ur instead of -r and see if Additions links correctly with BFD
> > ld?
> >
> > David
>
> I did give it a quick try by recompiling the Additions library with
> messages=yes to see the commands being executed by make and then
> reexecuted the link command with -Wl,-Ur instead of -Wl,-r.
> Unfortunately, that doesn't help for me (Ubuntu 18.04 with clang-9
> and
> bfd). Programs still segfault. :-(

And just adding on that, it doesn't look like an issue of using the
correct flags or not. GNUstep-base works fine for me on a Debian system
with Testing, i.e., the upcoming version 11, installed. But there the
binutils package is at version 2.34 already. On the other hand, on
Debian 10, where I get segfaults when using bfd for the linker,
binutils is at 2.31. So it seems likely there was bug in binutils that
got fixed somewhere in between those releases.

Wolfgang