Re: wasm backend

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: wasm backend
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 13:23:46 +0100

On 16/04/2020 02:15, Jordan Schidlowsky wrote:
https://twitter.com/lrz/status/1250453967957561344?s=21

I was also considering what it would take to build libobjc2 and base for wasm...

I’m guessing (David) the objc_msgsend could be implemented?  Our game runs pretty thin and WebGL looks like it can be swapped in for GLES 2.0 and 3.0.

Currently, a load of the v2 ABI stuff is bracketed in clang on having an ELF target, but I believe that it should almost all work with wasm. In particular, I believe lld correctly handles all of the exciting linkage types that we use. We currently depend on using custom linkage types for the .ctors / .init pointer, which is ELF-specific, but probably could be made to work with wasm without too much difficulty.

objc_msgSend is an interesting case.  As I recall, W

Is there any interest from anyone else in a wasm backend?

Interested?  Yes.
Happy to take / review patches?  Yes.
Having time to actively work on it?  No.

David