Re: [ML] Re: Hosting of gnustep.org

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: [ML] Re: Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 16:49:27 +0000

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 7:18 AM H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> > Am 19.01.2021 um 00:36 schrieb Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net>:
> >
> > Some options:
> >
> > - Should we turn the index into a set of static pages generated from
> > MySQL data, which we then check in?
> > - If we turn each entry into a single .md file, we can perhaps
> > leverage https://github.com/allejo/jekyll-toc
>
> Hm.
>
> The page is highly interactive (searching/filtering/jumping) and accepts
> proposing updates. It is even counting access and building a TOP10 list.
>
> How should that work with static content?

Hypothetically speaking, as I don't want to put that much effort and
I'd rather let it run as-is:

As we stand, there aren't so many items. The list of them can be
fetched all at once, and filtered/searched client-side, if we need
that.

Top 10 is, obviously, not doable. However, I missed that it's based on
an access metric; I thought it was simply the 'last 10'.

Interestingly, we have plenty of pages that are making outgoing
requests and failing; for instance, the number 1 on top 10:
http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/showdetail.php?app=61

Should we rethink the index?

> > - We could have a tiny nginx host which does nothing but route
> > requests to serving backends based on the path:
> >  - either proxy the request to gnustep.github.io,
> >  - or proxy it to a host with the software index (or even return a
> > 301 to something like index.gnustep.org)
>
> Keep it simple...
>
> Why not just redirect the entry point www.gnustep.org/index.html to
> the new page and leave the remainder like the softwareindex on the
> existing infrastructure (apache, php, mysql)?
>
> This should suffice
>
> www.gnustep.org/index.html;

> https://gnustep.github.io/index.html"/>

Because this situation relegates the "main site" to a secondary URL,
permanently. I've done that before and I regret it. And it prevents us
from even attempting to preserve location of other URLs which would be
completely fine as static pages. (Search engines will eventually index
gnustep.github.io as the sole main site. But right now it's not even
on the first page of results on three major search engines I tested
on.)