Re: Releases

From: Frederik Seiffert
Subject: Re: Releases
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 20:42:53 +0100

Am 10.01.2023 um 14:27 schrieb Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net>:

I really would like to minimise the number of steps we have to go through by automating as much as possible.
I did. :-)

Please see my release jottings on Google Docs. They’re not formal documentation, but can be interpreted as a playbook with some reading.

I’m not familiar with what needs to be done for releases (can you share a link to that Google Doc maybe?), but I’m wondering if released could be mostly automated on the GitHub Actions CI.

For the Android and Windows MSVC toolchains, every build on the master branch creates a pre-release on GitHub (overwriting the previous one), and then if I want to do a release I test the latest build and then simply add/edit the change log and check a box to turn it into a release (which also creates a corresponding git tag). Here’s the required Actions code:

https://github.com/gnustep/tools-android/blob/d71de40e60f71988b40610e39b5df926e6df1687/.github/workflows/ci.yml#L57-L84

In this case, the "prerelease" step will wait for the two builds (macOS and Linux) to complete, and then create a "Latest Build" pre-release on GitHub with the artifacts for the two platforms.

Frederik