gnustep-webmasters

Re: [Fwd: web page update]

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: [Fwd: web page update]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:20:25 -0700

Adrian Robert wrote:

However, I feel http://gnustep.org/information/wm.html is a bit overblown. Do we really need more than the first two paragraphs? (BTW,
I don't.
the link to WindowMaker.org needs to be fixed.) This sounds like John Kerry trying to define himself as "not-Bush". ;) (Apologies to non-U.S. readers.) All that is needed is a simple statement of the
It's a good equivocation, and I will say this...we've stated it in these terms for the same reason Kerry is...stupid people who say "Kerry is the same as Bush"....well, we've got people thinking essentially the same thing re: GNUstep and WindowMaker...so it's extremely important to clarify the differences in *no uncertain terms*

relationship between the two projects, perhaps with some history that would make things clearer, and then spend the rest of the effort on presenting what GNUstep is (a matured framework of libraries and other facilities supporting efficient application development; in its Cocoa incarnation it underlies most applications and facilities you see on OS X, but in its GNUstep guise it plays a lower-profile role, supporting individual applications on linux and other systems, together with some limited desktop environment facilities).

For the record, I definately think the "about GNUstep" page needs a "Relationship to Cocoa" subsection on it which covers the similarities of GNUstep and Cocoa as of the current point in time. Adam, what do you think?

As far as related projects go, there are other projects besides WindowMaker for which confusion could arise -- AfterStep, various NeXT-like widget sets, libFoundation and the various Cocoa-related sourceforge projects that periodically come up on the mailing list, the PDA project by a former GNUstep member, probably more.. Would it make sense to handle these on a common "related projects" page?

In practice, this is not a real world problem.