[gnutls-dev] GnuTLS and Google Summer of Code 2007

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [gnutls-dev] GnuTLS and Google Summer of Code 2007
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 08:37:10 +0100

Hi!  GnuTLS will try to participate in the Google Summer of Code, see:

http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html
http://code.google.com/soc/

Right now we are collecting ideas for projects, the ideas from 2006
are <http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2006.html#gnutls>:

   1. Datagram TLS support. RFC 4347  describe a UDP version of TLS.

   2. Support for the elliptic curves ciphersuites as an alternative
      authentication method.

      comment: I think I saw some patches for libgcrypt about this
      quite recently, which could be a basis for this work.

   3. Redesign and rewrite libtasn1 (asn.1 parser library). The new
      implementation must be efficient and easy to extend with new
      types and encoding rules (say BER and DER).

   4. Write a crypto backend to perform (symmetric and assymetric
      de/encryption, hash and MAC, key generation, random number
      generation). It should be able to utilize libgcrypt and other
      free libraries, such as libtomcrypt, and should be extendable
      for hardware drivers.

I can immediately add some ideas:

   5. Work on integrating support for some of the newer TLS
      extensions, which can include better TLS 1.2 support.

   6. Integrate the NIST X.509 self-tests and make sure we pass them.
      This could be an important step for FIPS certification of
      GnuTLS.

   7. OpenPGP related improvements?

I'd appreciate suggestions for other ideas that might attract good
people.

If you want to propose something and work on it as a student, let me
know.

/Simon