Re: Do we need to bump the shared library version for 2.4.0?

From: Andreas Metzler
Subject: Re: Do we need to bump the shared library version for 2.4.0?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 19:05:37 +0200

On 2008-05-27 Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Andreas Metzler <address@hidden> writes:
> > Is (or has it ever been in > 2.2.0) gnutls-extra useable on its own?

> No, you need to call gnutls_global_init() in -lgnutls before
> gnutls-extra is useful.  Further, libgnutls-extra links to libgnutls.
[...]
> However, technically I'm not sure that is sufficient.  The rules when to
> increment the shared library version is to do it when you remove a
> symbol from a library.  And we have removed symbols from
> libgnutls-extra.

> What is unclear to me is whether it is safe to assume
> no problem will happen because libgnutls-extra links to libgnutls, and
> libgnutls contains the old symbols.

Hello,
I have not tested it, but out of my head I cannot see how application
X could be broken, if symbols are moved between two libraries that
the application both is linked directly to. I can see that this a
pretty weak testimony, especially since I know next to nothing about
non-linux platforms.

[...]
> > PS: I you bump so names, please also bump symbol versioning.

> Why is that necessary?  I think we have discussed this before (for the
> 2.2.x abi break) but eventually decided not to increment the versioning.

You did, after I nagged. ;-)
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnutls-devel/2007-10/msg00027.html

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'