Re: about documentation on the site

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: about documentation on the site
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:39:48 +0200

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
Vincent Torri <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Simon Josefsson <address@hidden>wrote:
>
>> Vincent Torri <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > In http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/devel.html one can see, in the
>> > building steps, twice 'make'. Imho, 2 things are missing: the generation
>> of
>> > the configure script (autoreconf ?) and the launch of the configure
>> script
>> > itself
>>
>> The configure script is generated, and launched, by the first call to
>> 'make'.  Try the commands and you will see..
>

> i haven't tried, actually. There is no Makefile. Does it mean that
> GNUMakefile is used by default, as well as Makefile (if GNU make is used).
> If so, it means that it is not portable.

Yes, a GNUmakefile is used.  And yes, we require that people building
GnuTLS from git sources uses GNU make.  The list of required tools for
developers are explained in README-alpha, see below.

Note that users building from *.tar.bz2 do not need to have all these
tools installed, and do not need GNU make.  So I'd claim that GnuTLS is
portable.

- Make <http://www.gnu.org/software/make/>
- Automake <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/>
- Autoconf <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/>
- Libtool <http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/>
- Gettext <http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/>
- Texinfo <http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/>
- help2man <http://www.gnu.org/software/help2man/>
- Tar <http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/>
- Gzip <http://www.gnu.org/software/gzip/>
- Texlive & epsf <http://www.tug.org/texlive/> (for PDF manual)
- CVS <http://www.gnu.org/software/cvs/> (for gettext autopoint)
- GTK-DOC <http://www.gtk.org/gtk-doc/> (for API manual)
- Git <http://git.or.cz/>
- Perl <http://www.cpan.org/>
- Valgrind <http://valgrind.org/> (optional)
- libgcrypt <http://www.gnupg.org/>
- Guile <http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/>
- Gaa <http://gaa.sf.net> (optional)
- libtasn1 <http://josefsson.org/libtasn1/> (optional)
- datefudge <packages.debian.org/datefudge> (optional)

ok. Thank you

Vincent Torri