Re: GNUTLS is not going anywhere

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: GNUTLS is not going anywhere
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 20:36:03 +0100

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:04, address@hidden said:

> appreciated.  However, the project GNUTLS does not belong to you.

Nikos started the development of GNUTLS under the GNU label on my
suggestion.  He is the principal author of GNUTLS and gave away his
legal rights on that work without any compensation or help.  The success
of GNUTLS is not due to the GNU project but due to Nikos' and Simon's
work, and due to all the *Debian* maintainer who worked hard to replace
OpenSSL by a GPLed TLS implementation.  On the contrary, the GNU project
- i.e. you - put at lot of burden upon him which finally led to his
decision do continue GNUTLS without the GNU !help.

Claiming that the FSF has any moral rights on the name of that software
is absurd.

> But you cannot take GNUTLS out of the GNU Project.  You cannot

It is free software and thus the GNU project may continue to use it.
Like X11, TeX, or Bazaar.

> We will continue the development of GNUTLS.

May I suggest to name it LibreTLS ;-)

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner