gotmail-list

Re: [gotmail] Idea for optimizing gotmail

From: Anderson Lizardo
Subject: Re: [gotmail] Idea for optimizing gotmail
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:38:25 -0400

On Monday 02 February 2004 09:24, Joël Bourquard wrote:
> Of course I was probably wrong..  but it seemed to me, that programs
> such as Trillian or GAIM got the info using another interface to
> hotmail.
>
> Maybe, using that other interface, there's an easy, "short" way to know
> whether new e-mails arrived or not ?

These programs have "permanent" connections while they are running, that's why
a mail check is quick.

Another option is to add a parameter to run gotmail on background permanently
connected (like an opened browser window), so another instance of the program
with an option "--mailbox-check" will just tell the daemon to fetch one page
and see if there are new mails. Of course the "daemonized" gotmail should
check if the cookies have not expired, and reconnect if necessary.

It's a bit complex, but AFAIK is the only way to bypass the login process on
each mail check.

--
Anderson Lizardo
address@hidden