gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 12:48:39 -0700

Yo Ed!

On Sun, 06 May 2012 14:34:25 +0100
Ed W <address@hidden> wrote:

> Incidentally I have a load of these (very inexpensive):
>
> http://www.bluenext.co.uk/bluetooth-products/gps/92-bn-903s-gps-dongle.html
>
> They are detected as a "cp210x: v0.09:Silicon Labs CP210x RS232
> serial adaptor driver".  Some googling suggests this is a USB2
> chipset?

Sadly, as esr has found out, the cp210x linux driver is very poor and
gets no love from the vendor.  It does not support basic ioctl() calls
that gpsd needs to utilize the PPS signal.  So until there is a good
driver for them they are not an option for gpsd users.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588