gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Another release seems called for

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Another release seems called for
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:05:18 -0700

Yo Jeroen!

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:54:39 +0200
Jeroen Massar <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Depending on platform, if on Linux you can teach udev to set the
> >> permissions so that gpsd can access it.
> >
> > Yeah, I could tweak udev, but gps had no problems opening it to
> > start with.  It would be nice if gpsd could still open it for a
> > replug without system specificc tweaks.
>
> As the device gets removed when one unplugs it, the only way to do
> that would be to keep to not drop privileges.
>
> The udev path is the cleaner method IMHO, which should also allow
> starting as non-root completely.

Currently Gentoo udev sets up the /dev/tty*'s in the time honored
setting of root:uucp.  I would much rather gpsd set itself to uucp
group.

As a rule I find that those that fail to study the history of Unix are
doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.  I'd need a really good
analysis before I started touching things that have stood the test of
time since the '70's.

Plus one goal of gpsd is zero config, forcing users to tweak their
systems goes against that goal.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588