gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:26:00 +0000

Sanjeev Gupta writes:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 3:53 AM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > The first problem is you assume Stratum 1 know what they are doing
> > (known and compensated-for latency).  Any fool can be a Stratum 1 and
> > there are a lot of really bad ones.
>
> <blush>
> Are you looking at me?
> </blush>

I suspect the vast majority of non-professional S1 operators would fall
in to this category.

I'd love to see a good way to handle and address this.  There are a
bunch of other ways to connect a refclock to ntpd besides going thru
gpsd, and a variety of other interested players (like the Pool project).

This seems like a good topic to discuss on a Network Time Foundation
"channel", as gpsd and ntp are both NTF projects, and the NTP Pool
project is a friendly associate.

One of the things NTF wants to offer are a number of "certification and
compliance" programs.  This seems like a great issue for one of those,
and I'm looking for folks who would like to  participate in that effort.
--
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>