gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Draft Time Service HOWTO is beginning to approach final form

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Draft Time Service HOWTO is beginning to approach final form
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 17:04:51 -0400 (EDT)

I've just reread the whole draft. There are still a couple of active
discussion threads going on, and I have no doubt there will be much
t-crossing and i-dotting still, but it it is beginning to look close
to content-complete.

Chris Kuethe, if you're listening, now would be a good time for you to
work on cleaning out as many Linux-centrisms as you can.

Some minor issues from the draft:

TODO: There's an open issue about how you know you're stabilized
enough to compute a correct offset.

This is an issue for both nptd and chrony.  Is it sufficient to say,
for a GPS, that we need to wait until (a) we are sure the device has
been powered up and has skyview long enough to download an ephemeris,
and (b) it's been getting continuous fixes for a few minutes?  Or are
there other considerations involved?

Gary has said: "I would also add the comments in ntpshm.c starting on
lines 78 and 865."

I've merged the first.  The second is mostly arcana about PPS pulse
shape which I don't think belongs in the HOWTO.  But I've included
the information about GPSD waiting for a couple of fixes before it
tries to ship PPS.

The United States is in no way founded upon the Christian religion
        -- George Washington & John Adams, in a diplomatic message to Malta.