gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Mysteriously vanishing bugs don't make me happy

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Mysteriously vanishing bugs don't make me happy
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 21:36:40 +0000

As I understand it, chrony and ntp have different definitions of
"syncing to the correct time".

ntp assumes the local clock is predictable and looks at a number of
sources to decide what the correct time is.  Yes, that explanation could
be improved.

chrony (as I understand it) does its best to track whatever source it is
following.

These are *different* definitions.  There are situations where one will
be better than the other.

And having said that, it would be Really Good (IMO) to have a clear
understanding of exactly how and why chrony and ntpd behave differently
if ntpd has only one source of time.

The goal, of course, is to track the time as well as we can, and that
goes to the definition of "track the time as well as we can".

--
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden>