gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Parallel build broken?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Parallel build broken?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 16:25:10 -0800

Yo Eric!

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 05:33:52 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > > Thus, leapfetch=yes is incompatible with parallel build. No
> > > amount of tweaking dependencies can fix this.
> >
> > I donn't buy this.  Lot's of builds need to fetch something
> > before doing a next step.
>
> Yes, and that will work fine - if your acceptable consequences include
> hanging silently and indefinitely when you collide with a requirement
> for an authenticating proxy. It's in timing that out that we hit
> trouble.

Yeah, understood.

> > 4. make everything a dependency on the leapsecond file so only that
> > part is no parallel.
>
> I am failing to understand this. Please explain in more detail.

If we were doing this in make, we would just make the stuff that
depends on leapsecond, depend on leapsecond.

Something like this:

all: leapsecond progs

progs: 1stprog, 2ndprog, 3rdprog

1stprog: leapsecond

Make then knows to get leapsecnd 1st, and can build 2ndprog and 3rdprog
in parallel with that.  How to do that in scons is not something I have done.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588