gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd-time-service-howto.txt and 3.11

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd-time-service-howto.txt and 3.11
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:50:56 -0400

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> I'd like to nominate one more item to the reasonably high priority wish list.
>
> gpsmon doesn't display much timing info.
>
> I don't have any great suggestions.
>
> ------
>
> In the NMEA mode, it has a PPS offset stuffed into the GSA block.
>
> I'd be happy if there was a character I could type that would flip the
> "Time:" display on the Cooked PVT line at the top to be offset time and/or
> PPS offset.
>
> Another possibility would be for an input character to switch from displaying
> PPS offset to serial offset.
>
> ---
>
> Similarly, in the SIRF mode, there is a PPS offset in the Packet type 7
> block, but no hints about the serial (non-PPS) offset.  Again, I don't have
> any great suggestions.
>
> I think I could squeeze things like most of the blocks on the lower right so
> that the Packet Type line was merged into the block header line.
>
> Another possibility would be a mode to add another line to the display.  I
> think a whole line could show both PPS and non-PPS offset.

This is for after 3.11, because I'm staying away from feature
additions.

I'm looking at an NMEA mode gpsmon now.  I see a UTC time in the Cooked PVT
box, a PPS offset in the GSA + PPS box, and two time entries in the RMC
and GGA boxes. What do you mean by "offset time" that none of these covers?

Now I'm looking at SiRF mode.  There's a UTC time entry in the top box and
a GPS time entry in the window for Packet 7.  What else do you want, exactly?
I am not getting anything definite from "serial (non-PPS) offset".