gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ntpd/gpsd tangle

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ntpd/gpsd tangle
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 17:01:44 -0500

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:

> address@hidden said:
> > OK, I want to be sure I know what's going on here.  You were restarting ntpd
> >  *while gpsd was running*?
>
> Sure.  I've been doing that for years.  It works with SHM.
>
> I assume I can start/stop/restart them in any order.

If you're using the SHM driver restarting them in any order will work.
In that case the shared-memory segment defines a fixed rendezvous; gpsd
doesn't actually care whether an ntpd instance is reading it, but just
dumps updates there.  After an ntpd restart ntpd can just go back to
the rendezvous.

The socket-export case is different.  For that to work, ntpd has to behave
as a GPSD client - start a session on port 2947 and issue a WATCH.  It's
OK for ntpd to do this multiple times, but only if it does a new session
start and issues a new watch for each connect.

Which, now that I think about it, it certainly ought to be doing.  Hmmm.

> Restarting ntpd is the same as control-Cing a random program JSONing to gpsd.
>  (or having a program crash)  I expect gpsd to recover from that.

You're right.  I'm going to run some smoke tests and get back to you.