gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] What is our current bug state?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] What is our current bug state?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 14:26:58 -0500

Frank Nicholas <address@hidden> writes:

> Mac OS X, 10.10 (Yosemite), MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7-4850HQ (quad core,
> w/hyper-threading)
> http://ark.intel.com/products/76086/Intel-Core-i7-4850HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz?q=4850HQ
>
> I did a ‘git pull’.  I’m not sure how to see what revision it was, but
> the latest commit was “ef39b1cd848a006751b1d30c931056a5790e3116”.

"git describe" gives a canonical form.  See devtools/do-build for a
script that logs the results with files named by git describe.

> I zeroed out the WRITE_PAD & CLOSE_DELAY, and had mostly failure:
> Regression test FAILED: 87 errors in 89 tests total (0 not found).
> -n Elapsed time:
> 107
>
> I set the WRITE_PAD & CLOSE_DELAY back to how they were (.03 & 1) for OS X,
> and it passed:
> Regression test successful: no errors in 89 tests (0 not found).
> -n Elapsed time:
> 1200
>
> In the failed tests, it appears the the input file being tested was
> spit out in the terminal window.  Is that intentional if a test fails,
> or is it a byproduct of a failed test?

It's probably a diff showing missing lines, rather than the input file
itself, with leading "-".

> Any additional information you would like?  Any other testing you want
> performed?  The Apple developer tools allow me to turn off cores on
> the fly, if we think this might be related to SMP.

An interesting thought, but nothing has pointed that way yet.

You can see if smaller delays work.  What I do is run CLOSE_DELAY up
high enough, and then find the smallest WRITE_PAD that works, and then
shrink CLOSE_DELAY.   Basically, CLOSE_DELAY is about gpsd not reading
fast enough at the end, and WRITE_PAD is about overrunning  the buffer
in the middle, except that it's not that cleanly separated.