gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Progress is being made towards a GPSD release

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Progress is being made towards a GPSD release
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 13:00:36 -0500

On Feb 3, 2015, at 12:34 PM, Frank Nicholas <address@hidden> wrote:

On Feb 3, 2015, at 9:48 AM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:

Frank Nicholas reports total test failure on Gentoo.  Why is unknown,
but I have seen something like that on Debian porterboxes built
without pty support.
--

I do manually configure/build my kernel.  I grep’d “.config” for “PTY” and found these relevant entries:
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y

Is “CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS” required?

I’ll rebuild sometime today, with “CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS” and see if this resolves the test failures.

I wiped my gpsd clone & did a new clone of the repository.

Adding “CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS” to my kernel config helped, but I still had a total failure, but with additional information related to PTY.  I now have the following kernel config options related to PTY's:
Linux martin 3.18.0-gentoo #2 SMP Tue Feb 3 12:39:01 EST 2015 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y
CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT=256

Attached is the terminal output from the failure NO CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS & the terminal output with CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS.  In the latter output, note the following:
gpsd:ERROR: can't create IPv6 socket
gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - retrying read-only
gpsd:ERROR: read-only device open failed: Permission denied
gpsd:ERROR: /dev/pts/2: device activation failed.
gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - retrying read-only
gpsd:ERROR: read-only device open failed: Permission denied
gpsd:ERROR: /dev/pts/2: device activation failed.

This looks like it’s occurring on each test.  I stopped the test run with Ctrl-C.  This generated a “buffer overflow” message and stack dump.

I looked in “/dev/pts” and only have “/dev/pts/0”.  I’m running udev 218, no systemd.  I haven’t had any other issues with devices not being created.  This kernel config is one I’ve used for years (updating for newer versions of kernels).

Let me know what other information or testing I can provide.