gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Please test with WRITE_PAD zeroed

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Please test with WRITE_PAD zeroed
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 18:27:09 -0500

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> Note that only 4 out of 5 got counted.  I assume the no-diff case had the
> timeout after all the data and either didn't return an error code or the
> wrapper didn't check the return code.

That's probably right.

> [Context is reducing printout after known error like timeout,]
> > I will, but I need to make sure suppressing the diff output doesn't discard
> > its intended use - catching incorrect changes in the driver code leading to
> > incorrect packet parsing.
>
> How about skipping the printout if the output file is empty?

Possible.  It'll make regress-driver more complicated, but is
probably worth that.

> [100% of CPU]
> > Given that it's pumping test logs into a pty as fast as it can, this is not
> > vey surprising.
>
> Why is it getting a timeout if it's pumping stuff into a log file?

The timeout happens when gpsd gets stuck waiting on a select because it never
sees the injected "# EOF\n" at the end of the testload.  Python eating the
CPU is what's happening at the *other* end of the pipe.

> The 100% CPU that I observed was while it was waiting for things to time out.
>  Most tests only take a few seconds.  There is plenty of time to catch it
> while it is timing out.

I do not quite understand what you are driving at here.