gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 12:16:32 -0800

Yo Eric!

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:04:53 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > By default, ntpd creates and uses no segments.
>
> OK.  *Wow* the documentation is misleading on this.

Hehehe.

BTW, I confirmed what I said by running some live tests on ntpd.

> > > the
> > >  * segments.  In contrast to ntpd, which only attaches (creates)
> > >  * configured segments, gpsd creates all segments.  Thus a gpsd
> > > will
> > >  * bve default create two segments 4 and 5 that an ntpd with
> > > default
> >
> > by default create four segments (), 1, 2 and 3) that an ntpd with
> > default
>
> No, NTPSHMSHMSEGS = 2 * MAX_DEVICES.  It's going to be 0..7.

Well, as of last week, just 0 and 1.

> In the next round I want to change this so the non-root segments are
> only created as needed during device opens.

Yes, but I have been pushing Harlan and Pearly to all ntpshm segments
can be group ntpd and perms 660.  We should coordinate this with them.
This swamp could be mostly drained if we do it together.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588