gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Please test for a specific bug:

From: Roy Barkas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Please test for a specific bug:
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 22:09:23 +1100

I wouldn't see that problem it for two possible reasons...  I don't access any data via serial ports and our data rate is so high there's almost never a gap of more than a couple of hundred milliseconds between messages (more typically a millisecond or two).

I am chasing a different AIS problem that seems to have popped up recently.  In fact I didn't see it until you made me aware that I was mis-configuring gpspipe for split24.  When accessing gpsd via 'gpspipe -2' there are times when a single AIS messages (always a type 24) is repeated many thousands of times.
I haven't made a bug report because there is still some work for me to do to be absolutely sure it isn't a problem of my creation in the programs that accept the packets from providers and forward them to gpsd via udp.

I'll let you know if I eliminate my programs and I'll try to see if I can set up a test harness set of programs that will repeatably cause the problem.

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 11:06 AM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Ed W <address@hidden>:
> I don't have the ability to run tests on GPSd pre-release (at least likely
> before you release it).  However, most of the previous versions, including
> 3.10 show a problem detecting very low rate AIS input sentences

Interesting.  We're not getting this report from Roy Barkas or any of our
heavy AIS users other than you.

There's a way you can diagnose this.  Run at -D 10.  This will show you the
actual input character by character.  If you're getting runs of garbage
that cause the packet getter to lose sync, that will be easy to see.