gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons check fail gpsd3.14 ubuntu 14

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons check fail gpsd3.14 ubuntu 14
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:02:48 -0400

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:
> I poked around a bit more.
>
> Here is the condensed version from my man page for ld.so/ld-linux-so:
> If  RUNPATH doesn't exist:
>   search RPATH, then LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then normal stuff.
> else
>   search LD_LIBRARY_PATH, then RUNPATH, then normal stuff.
>
> It also says that RPATH is deprecated.  It doesn't say why, but this might be
> the reason.
>
> (It calls them DT_RPATH and DT_RUNPATH.)
>
> I don't know my way around scons/SConstruct well enough to fix it.
> I added "chrpath -c ./gpsd" to the top of regress-driver.
> That now works on a chrpath=no setup that used to do crazy things.
>
> ldd can be used to printout which libraries will be used.
> It processes LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> A bit of hacking confirms the search order descriptions on the ld.so man page.
>
> I think you have to add ",--enable-new-dtags" to the -Wl,rpath=xxx line to
> make the linker produce RUNPATH rather than RPATH.
>
> I don't know how many systems do/don't support RUNPATH.  I think it's been
> around for a long time.  It's supported on a very old linux box as well as
> current NetBSD and FreeBSD.

This has "fragile", "maintainer's nightmare", and "endless portability
headache" written all over it in letters of fire nine feet high.

I am utterly sick and tired of dealing with this crap, it's nearly as
bad as having the curse of libtool back.  A two-line change will force
static linking in the non-chrpath case, at which point RPATH and RUNPATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH will all become delightfully irrelevant.