gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Changing build systems
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 06:52:42 -0400

Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden>:
> Various mails on this list and directly addressed to my show that
> I'm not the only one who thinks that scons is - in its current state
> - nothing one wants to use.

I can see no evidence of this.  You are the only person who has been
agitating for a change in build system.

There is something more useful you could do. I sent the scons
maintainers a nastygram about the inexcusably bad documentation of
their shared-library installer primitive.  I got a response from the
current project co-lead promising to fix that and explaining that the
project had been stalled for a while because the founder stepped back
from running it.

He was very apologetic, beacause I have been a major SCons advocate in the past
and in fact they carry a praise quote from me on their front page. No, they
do *not* want me to withdraw my support; that would be a huge black eye for
the project

Thus, I have their full attention now.  If you can specifically
identify the fixes or feature additions that you think scons needs to
stop annoying you, I think we have a good chance of getting those
fixed.