gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Build broken

From: Jon Schlueter
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Build broken
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:18:21 -0400

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 7:04 AM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Hal Murray <address@hidden>:

> Looks like a bug in scons -n.  It's not actually telling me how to build the
> target or giving me an error message.

-n is the dry-run option - show actions but don't execute them.  If
libgps.so.22.0.0 didn't exist before you ran 'scons -n libgps.so.22.0.0',
this is exactly what I would expect to see.

I am not clear how this relates to "ais_json.o is static and is not
compatible with shared target".  Are you getting this on all platforms?
It might relate to a post-2.0.1 feature, in which case I need to back out
my most recent change to SConstruct.
--

This is due to scons environment pollution.

We are telling it to compile ais_json.o with different flags for the same environment

from the past we got around this with by splitting the environment and using   something like the following

static_env = env.Clone()
static_env.Append(OBJPREFIX='static-')

static_env.StaticLibrary(...)
env.SharedLibrary(...)

This is the same issue you get with malformed Makefile rules creating the same object file from two different compile options. A solution is to get the output files to be name-mangled for the different build options.

Jon Schlueter