gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Feeling out Bluetooth Low Energy

From: Daria Brashear
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Feeling out Bluetooth Low Energy
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 13:28:14 -0400

Hi,

As it's been occasionally the case that the only device I had on me capable of behaving as a GPS receiver which I might attach to gpsd was an iPhone, but all the means of dealing with such handle poorly, I examined what was being done with my fitness tracker to see what could be done in a manner which would be easily discoverable and usable; I don't yet have time to work on thi but I hope to:

https://developer.bluetooth.org/gatt/characteristics/Pages/CharacteristicViewer.aspx?u=org.bluetooth.characteristic.location_and_speed.xml

defines a Bluetooth characteristic which can be advertised and serviced via a BLE peripheral; and the iOS Bluetooth SDK provides the ability to advertise and service characteristics, meaning all I should need to do from the phone end is to advertise support for the appropriate characteristic and then populate and serve the data structure the Bluetooth Working Group defines with what information is obtainable from LocationServices.

What I'm wondering is what other peripherals supporting such might exist, and what might be used outside MacOS to poll for this data; Personally I only care about MacOS and am likely to do the work only for there as well as to fix up whatever has bitrotted on MacOS since the last time I needed to rebuild gpsd.

Cheers,
Daria

--
Daria Phoebe Brashear