gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] at ietf this week... should I care about

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] at ietf this week... should I care about
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 08:20:26 -0400

Dave Taht <address@hidden>:
> anything in
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/93/agenda/tictoc/

Probably.

* Network Time Security (Sibold)
  draft-ietf-ntp-network-time-security-09

This looks like a workable proposal for replacing Autokey, which is very broken.
It's of direct interest to anyone working on NTP.

  draft-ietf-ntp-cms-for-nts-message-04
  draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp-01

These are all about NTS, which is for sub-ms time synchronization on fast
LANs.  Gary knows more about NTS than I do and might have an opinion; I don't.

* A YANG Data Model for NTP (Wu)
  draft-wu-ntp-ntp-cfg-01

No actual advance in the tech hwere, it's a stake in the ground for
better configuratioon utilities.  Interesting but only mildly.

* The Network Time Protocol Version 4 Extension Format
  draft-choudharykumar-ntp-ntpv4-extended-extensions-01

Technical fix for a hole in the extension spec.  Not of much interest here
unless you're a NTP implementor.

The first Sibold draft looks to me like the interesting one.  Autokey needs
to be shot through the head and it looks like he's about ready to do it.