gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] 1PPS on the Pi - let's pool our knowledge.

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] 1PPS on the Pi - let's pool our knowledge.
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 16:19:29 -0400

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > address@hidden said:
> > > You missed the part about the kernel patch needed to see both edges
> > > of the PPS.  You have a 50/50 chance you can't see the right edge,
> > > and no good way of knowing you have the right edge.
> >
> > That would be true in the general case, but we are interested in a
> > specific device or a small set of devices so we only need to test
> > them and document that they work.  (and/or what offset is needed)
>
> Well, we already have RasPi, RasPi2, RasPi3, mixed with wheezy/jessie, mixed
> with AdaFruit or Upuptronics HATs.  That is already a lot of permutations.
>
> Once that is done people will show up with GPS that are not in HAT form.
> So I'd lean toward specific step-by-step with enough general info
> so people can untangle odd variants.

That's what I want to do anyway.

<RANT>

I hate HOWTOs that are just recipes with no background or attempt to
convey generative theory.  The people who write these think they're
simplifying, but they're actually fragilizing.  Because if the procedure
doesn't go exactly as expected, you're lost.  You have no basis for
troubleshooting.

</RANT>