gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ARM port problem in rtcm3.2 handling

From: Paul Fertser
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ARM port problem in rtcm3.2 handling
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 11:18:02 +0300

Hey Gary,

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 12:33:55PM -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > Gary, I think there's an endianness problem in your recent 3.2
> > additions somewhere.
>
> I doubt it since you and I are both running big-endian.  All x86 is
> big endian, and Debian armhf is also big endian.  So bot are the same
> endianness.

For the reference, in your other email you correctly state that both
of those systems are little-endian.

The most obvious big endian target that's widely available is MIPS in
numerous wifi routers and similar boards. For as little as $10 you can
get a device with Ethernet and USB high speed port plus few GPIOs,
with 32M RAM, 4M or 8M flash and an 1x1 802.11n 2.4GHz WiFi
interface. Granted, you can't really run a full-fledged distro on it
but OpenWrt is a painless cross-compiling environment that supports
boards like that nicely.

Another option is to emulate a MIPS, SPARC or PPC system in QEMU.

I think the RTCM issues you were facing are due to the char being
signed by default on x86 and amd64 but unsigned on arm.

mailto:address@hidden