gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS not showing in gpsmon/gpsd on RPi 3

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS not showing in gpsmon/gpsd on RPi 3
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 20:42:50 -0700

address@hidden said:
>> ppstest works because you tell it which /dev/pps<x> to use.
>> ntpd works because you have to tell it which pps goes with which
>> serial port with config files and links in the file system.

> Actually, not AFAICT.  NTPd works by having you apply the "prefer" keyword
> to the corresponding coarse-time peer, which is a horribly disgusting
> repurposing of "prefer".  It has two issues:

That "prefer" is part of the config file.

[I agree it's a kldge.]

> No, the KPPS driver is perfectly capable of monitoring GPIO signals that
> have nothing to do with a serial port.  I don't know exactly how it gets set
> up, but that much works on the BBB.  E.g.:

It's some combination of dtoverlay in /boot/cmdline.txt and the kernel
modules.  dtoverlay takes a parameter for the pin number.  I suspect that
gets passed to the module.  I don't know if/how it works if you want multiple
pins.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.