gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RaspbPi HOWTO

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RaspbPi HOWTO
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 19:35:28 -0400

On May 3, 2016, at 6:50 PM, Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

The problem with the Pi was USB related.  I don't see troubles when using the
Ethernet, but WiFi hangs occasionally (days).  All the USB WiFi gizmos from
Adafruit use the same chip.  My guess is that the WiFi chip does something
strange and the hardware/firmware doesn't handle that case.

I've got a couple of units that use a different chip on order.  That might
tell me something.

I have 15 Raspberry Pi’s.  I’ve used the original B thru Pi 3, and the “zero".  I’ve had no issues with USB.  I use Gentoo on all my Pi’s.  I use USB for bluetooth, WiFi & as the root partition (USB storage).  I’ve used at least 5 x brands of USB WiFi adapters.  I’ve pretty much standardized on “Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]” as of late, but I’ve used other chip sets (from Amazon for < $10).  I’ve never had any WiFi issues or USB issues.

With regards to WiFi, if I ping a Pi, sometimes 1-3 pings fail, before the WiFi seems to "wake up".  I’ve not been able to track this down to a chipset or USB specific (it happens on the Pi 3, with built-in Broadcom WiFi).  All my scripts that automate things with my Pi’s that are on WiFi, start with a “ping -c 4 -q $host”.  ALWAYS by the 4th ping, the Pi is responding.  With the Ethernet, always by the 2nd ping, the Pi is responding.