gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 16:03:36 -0700

Yo Frank!

On Mon, 9 May 2016 18:58:45 -0400
Frank Nicholas <address@hidden> wrote:

> > On May 9, 2016, at 6:56 PM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > But, you still need to tell the user how to remove the distros gpsd
> > and ntpd service files.
>
> Aren’t they part of the Debian package (I hope so - you wouldn’t want
> them there if there were no application to service requests)?  If so,
> they’ll be removed when NTP & gpsd are removed.  I don’t currently
> have an SD card with Raspian on it to test…

We see a lot of users that do not remove the stock gpsd and ntpd when they
install gpsd and ntpd from source.  That way they can compage the old and
the new before going all in to source compiled versions.  Or they are
just too lazy...

Just in the last week several users have had this problem, got confused, and
complained to the gpsd lists.

Remember, for a lot of users, systemd come out of left field for them and
just smacks them in the head.  They still thought they were on old style
init systems.

The howto is for newbies, or those in a hurry, it must assume nothing.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588