gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Much was accomplished today at Asylum House

From: Mike
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Much was accomplished today at Asylum House
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 23:18:53 -0400

On 05/22/2016 02:02 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote
The thing of possible GPSD interest we learned is that the SKU 424254,
that no-name GPS HAT from China, has a serious flaw.  The trace that
should deliver 1PPS from the u-blox module to GPIO05 is *absent*.
This is not a simple manufacturing error; we were able to find a link
to its schematics and the trace is missing there, too.  Which is
*weird* because the vendor page advertises that export heavily.

After some scope work that would have been utterly beyond my
competence (though I am learning) Phil was able to blue-wire the board
to do the right thing. I will document this in the Microserver HOWTO
and send the vendor a nastygram that leaves them no excuse not to fix
it.

Does anyone know if this is a product produced somewhere else too? I also looked at the schematic referenced from the dx.com site and was stymied by the lack of a connection to the header. Even though it clearly stated that is was hooked up. I have ordered through DX many times, typically expecting that most of the stuff is poor clones or counterfeits of someone Else's design. Certainly a cause of frustration if one isn't aware of it.

I forgot to look and see if there was a post in the user forums about this issue. Many times it helps to get attention and let others know there of problems like these.

Mike