gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] GPSD is now an ICEI project; we're seeking a release manager

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] GPSD is now an ICEI project; we're seeking a release manager
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 18:24:01 -0400 (EDT)

The Internet Civil Engineering Institute has taken on GPSD as a
supported infrastructure project.  This creates a challenge and some
opportunities.

ICEI takes a long-term view of project sustainability. It is willing
and able to fund people doing critical work on GPSD, and wants Gary
Miller and myself to not be critical-path on GPSD and NTPsec forever.

Therefore we are looking to recruit a GPSD project manager.  While it
would be handy if the PM were also a competent tech lead for the
project, that is not actually required.  One possible profile for the
job is a person willing to take responsibility for bug triage and
cutting releases, but relying on technical subject matter experts for
structural work.

The project manager position would earn a stipend from ICEI, not
full-time-equivalent but a bit more than pocket money. Over time
there is a potential for this to increase.

I think I know who the qualified candidates are from watching the GPSD
mailing lists.  If you are one of them, you are probably - and with
good reason - frustrated with the slow pace of GPSD development since
Gary and I started putting most of our effort on NTPsec.  This is your
chance to step up.  Gary and I will support getting you up to speed
as best we can for the very good reason that doing that will take
a burden off of us.

Your first task as PM will be to decide which pending bugs (if any)
are urgent enough to block a release, and orchestrate the work to
fix them. (That set may be empty; in fact, it likely is.)

Then we need a point release. It's been too long without one.

It is error alone which needs the support of government.
Truth can stand by itself.
        --Thomas Jefferson