gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘3.18 release soon

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘3.18 release soon
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 20:28:13 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 16:07:33 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Not just that one commit.  Many new features that are not backward
> > compatible.  In all the clients.  That is partly why the new version
> > checks.  Probably need more version checks, and to bump the JSON
> > version.
>
> The client/server protocol operates across machine boundaries, and
> can't assume that the same code version is in use at both ends.  It
> needs to maintain forward and backward compatibility.

There is compatible, and then there is compatible.  At a minimum
there must be loss of new functionality.

> > I presume it failed in an ugly way?
>
> Exception backtrace and an unpopulated display.

Care to share?  better yet got patches?

It at least needs to fail gracefully and tell the user what to do.

> > A big part of it is that PRNs are a mess and going away.  No way
> > around it.
>
> But it needs to be fixed compatibly.  Imagine a new release of a
> browser that only worked with the latest webservers.

Seems pretty common to me.  My bank only works with one of my
webservers.  Youtube with another, etc.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588